Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Another birthday.

A few weeks ago Kenny was teaching a group of 14/15-year-olds and mentioned his birthday was coming up. They began to guess his age. "24?" No... "25?!" No... when they got to 28 they were doubtful he could be "that old" and when he told them he'd be 32 they were shocked. Kenny embodies the whole "young at heart" thing and it shows. I love that.

I also remember a few years ago we were boating with some friends at Lake Mead. I noticed that while all the "boys" were still toned and strong (and tan thanks to a few days on the lake), they all sported some manner of facial hair (mostly full beards) with various amounts of hair on their chest to match. My teenage self would have been so grossed out by all that hair, thinking it characterized old men. I wondered aloud "when did we start liking men?" Somewhere along the way, our teenage preferences for smooth, baby faces gave way to scruffy, rugged, handsome men. Kenny is such a man. I love that, too.

So, to my manly man with a fun-loving, youthful soul, I wish you a very happy birthday. I know you don't feel any different than you did when you turned, say, 20, but I'm happy for the added experience and wisdom this last year gave you and I look forward to another year of watching you grow. It's cliche, but you get better every day. I love you.

(And your daughter's sort of crazy about you, too. Before we know it she'll have the words to actually articulate that truth, but for now she'll just smile that goofy grin and say "Hi-Dad!" - like it's one word - over and over and over again as she makes laps around the house looking for you. All day long.)


No comments: