Thursday, February 17, 2011

It's not you, it's me.

This blog is not a place I like to air my dirty laundry. It is where I document key events, journal about our activities (for our own records and to keep our families updated) and share my random thoughts. I purposefully keep things - for the most part - light hearted and even deliberately shallow as I am not comfortable with the vulnerability that would come from really "opening up" so to speak. That's true also in my personal life -I keep most of my person-to-person interactions fairly surface level. Even my blog-rants (which are oftentimes my most passionate posts) are usually about fairly banal and insignificant things. Truthfully, I have very little dirty laundry to air. Life has been good to me. And I like to focus on the positive. Mostly.

That being said, I must say that I'm in a funk. It's lasted longer than I really care to admit. To battle it I think I need to follow some wise counsel to simplify and focus on the essentials. Without divulging personal details, I will say that doing so is going to involve some fairly drastic changes for me. For my family, too. Some such decisions I've/we've been struggling with for some time. Part of my effort will be to stop reading blogs. For awhile anyway. While this is hardly a "drastic" move, I feel its necessary in my effort to refocus. Blogs (at least the ones I read), while often innocent and inspirational, are also full of non-essential things, activities, and adventures I can't have or do right now and, frankly, I'm not a big enough person to spend time reading about it all while being content with where I am in my life.

So I'm done. For awhile. I'll continue to update this little ol' blog for the same reason I started it - to have some record of our lives and to keep our families updated. But no more blog-hopping. For awhile.

So if I have to ask you to fill me in on what's been going on in your life next time I see you, please understand. It's not that I've been uninterested, I just need a clean break. It's not you, it's me. Totally.

On the plus side, I foresee a considerable spike in my productivity!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love this post and I hear ya! When I am in my deepest of homesickness funks, I have to stop reading blogs too. I get all caught up in the life I COULD be having with all my really close family and friends in CA, instead of being in cold Switzerland. The problem is, I start mentally living my life somewhere else and that does NOT help. Although our "non-blog-reading-moments" may not be for the exact same reasons, I totally can relate. So it's not just you!

Amy said...

I hear ya, I have a friend who allows herself one day to blog for that very reason. I have done that where I feel like I waste so much time on blogging. Then I got pregnant with this little gem, and well I have been more bed ridden than I would have ever thought possible, and blogs have been my "company". Anyway, but I wont be offended if you don't read my blog anymore, I was just thinking about that today actually, how I am grateful for blogs that keep me updated on my friends that I don't and won't ever see. So I am glad you will still blog, I love reading about your family and will continue to read your blog. Love ya and hope you get out of your funk! Hope you can catch some fresh air and get what you need to get done!

Ashley Thalman said...

Go Jill! I have felt the need to do this a few times. It feels so good to purge my mind of all the non-essential clutter and crap and cool. Welcome to motherhood!