Thursday, March 12, 2009

Financial Speak

I came across this little linguistic gem today while reviewing the notes to a public company’s 10-K (which is an incredibly detailed annual financial report, for all you non-business people):
“[Company] recognized an other-than-temporary impairment loss...”
'Other-than-temporary'? How's that for efficiency. Is the fact that this phrase translates to, oh I don't know, say permanent / forever / everlasting / not-coming-back lost on anyone? Really?

(Work is pretty dry at times and I have to find entertainment somewhere, right? However, I kind of wish financial statements would just stay un-amusing. It would make my job easier...)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I understand where you're coming from. Sometimes I come home and tell Skyler a funny work-related story and he looks at me like, is that supposed to be funny? Then I explain the work-related thing and then it's no longer funny, but a lesson about taxes.

Tyler Jorgenson said...

This is classic. Thanks for sharing.