Thursday, December 11, 2008

Faux Pas

I generally make it a rule NOT to discuss religion or politics at work. Which was kinda hard when my boss, on his way out of my office, turns and says to me: "I hear [you] Mormons are being blamed for getting Proposition 8 to pass."

Pretty sure I just stared at him.

(Note: I should say here that I have a really good relationship with my boss who is - fortunately - a really good guy. Thus the awkwardness was short lived. Still......)

Anyway, perhaps it was this encounter that had me all riled up on politics today as I perused today's papers. Some familiar quotes I found especially poignant were as follows:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -Voltaire

A government big enough to give you what you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have." - Gerald Ford

On another note. Is it okay to have a mad crush on 315-year old philosophers/writers? 'Cause, were he around today, I'd totally throw myself at Voltaire.

Brains, wit, influence, french? What's not to love? And that hair.... oh, that hair.

Amendment to "Faux Pas"

For the record, I would only give myself to Voltaire if Kenny weren’t around. Because if one has a kind, smart, driven, funny, strong, and handsome companion around...who needs Voltaire?

(Are you happy now, Kenny?)

3 comments:

jenn (+ will) said...

you're cutefunny! (one word). he kinda freaked me out with candide but definitely intriguing.

Unknown said...

I completely forgot about how much I love Voltaire! I think I will pick up reading him again.

Meikel said...

Please go to my blog, and under site to see go to My Religious blog. You won't be sorry