Photo Credits: (B&W) by Amelia Lyon & Junior High Dance taken by some friend of my sister's (the cutie in the photo).
Wednesday, March 24, 2010
Friday, March 19, 2010
So, NO. I’m sorry, ladies. You are not pregnant for “technically 10 months.” It’s a big enough deal to simply say you’re pregnant and will endure all the "fun" stuff that entails, and that you are going to squeeze a child out your va-jay-jay (or have it surgically cut out of you). I promise there is no need to add the extra month for effect. Nine is plenty impressive.
I have some experience and can now attest to this fact. (Minus the delivery/surgery part...that can wait a while).
And just for effect – by the time we have this kid, I will have been pregnant for TWELVE+ months since last year. Yes, I’m counting the three months I was pregnant before I miscarried, but still. Beat that. (And I know some of you can, in fact, beat that; my hat's off to you. For real.) :) :)
Month / Days / Weeks
January / 31 / 4.43
February / 28 / 4.00
March / 31 / 4.43
April / 30 / 4.29
May / 31 / 4.43
June / 30 / 4.29
July / 31 / 4.43
August / 31 / 4.43
September / 30 / 4.29
October / 31 / 4.43
November / 30 / 4.29
December / 31 / 4.43
Total = 365 days or 52.14 weeks
Average month will have 4.35 weeks (=52.14/12)
Thursday, March 18, 2010
Apparently taxes, the recent earthquakes (including the one that woke us up at 4am the other day), and our Pending Arrival teamed forces to rock Kenny’s dream world last night. Understandably, he was pretty out of it this morning...that’s a busy night!
Also, we've been predicting this kid to be a boy, but Kenny recently dreamed about a girl...so who knows. We're looking forward to finding out! (Looking forward to it, yes, but we're not in any rush. Easier in than out, right?)
Tuesday, March 16, 2010
Anna Nielsen to Becca Nielsen: I have officially de-sisterred you. I would still like to be friends. Don't worry, it's not you, it’s me. The timing is just not right for that kind of relationship, you know?
Anna Nielsen to Becca Nielsen: Becca! Ryan wrote that – not me.
(Anna, Becca, and Ryan are my siblings.)
I miss my family.
Also...can I please go on maternity leave right now? While our internal compliance auditors are here and before the OCC sends its auditors next month?
I really hate auditors.
Monday, March 15, 2010
- I can in fact follow a budget...or at least I can do better than last week.
- My husband is amazing at H-O-R-S-E...and the more absurd the shot, the better chance Kenny will make it.
- My tiny bathtub can actually be comfortable with some innovative positioning and the strategic use of towels.
- I will always underestimate the work required to complete my creative endeavors. On the flipside, the quilt I’m making our kid is pretty awesome. Or it will be. If I can ever finish it.
- At some point just being comfortable will trump the desire to look “put together.”
- I like social gatherings, but only if I’ve had adequate sleep. Oh, Sleep...I need more of you in my life.
- While I resent Southern California’s lack of seasons and too-short “winters” I sort of loved reading at the park yesterday in a tee shirt, skirt and flip flops - in early March!
- If I wake up Kenny by putting my stomach against his back when the baby’s moving, it's guaranteed Kenny will wake up in the BEST mood, even laughing. (I should note, Kenny usually wakes up really happy, but this way I feel like I should somehow get credit for it.)
- My hips and knees are noticeably looser. Note to self: move slower; save yourself the injury.
- If I don’t see Elise at least once during the week, I feel sort of lost. Ironic that the last few times I’ve hung out with her was simply to watch LOST.
- Kenny will always want to go out for a treat on the days I’ve committed myself to avoid such things.
- I will always give in to Kenny’s desire for a treat. It’s a rare thing for him to want this.
- I believe Wonton Wednesdays at Pickup Stix should be an everyday event. If you can't enjoy 25 cent wontons on a weekend but you can on a Wednesday, there is seriously something wrong with the world.
It was a very educational weekend, no?
Friday, March 12, 2010
Anyway, the teacher at our Labor/Delivery class last night named a resemblance we'd never heard before...Seth Green. Really? Hmmm. I like Seth Green - I even find him attractive actually...I guess I can see it. Especially when Seth had dark hair, like in the Austin Powers movies. But I think Jake Gyllenhall is closer. What do you think?
Thursday, March 11, 2010
- Worst: A snake was chasing him trying to bite off his ear. (He'd had that dream just earlier that day. The horror was still fresh in his mind.)
- Best: He was hanging out with a friendly tyrannosaurus rex and was teaching the dinosaur to play Mario Kart on the Wii. The best moment was when they "both won - [Hudson] got first and T-Rex got second."
Oh, to be a four-almost FIVE-year old little boy. Although a friendly t-rex to play video games with would be pretty fantastic at any age. Especially if it always performed just slightly worse than you.
* photo of Hudson/T-Rex by his mom, Amelia Lyon (of course)
Wednesday, March 10, 2010
On the same day, Kenny's step-mom, Kristee, also threw me a shower for that side of the family. Again, this kid is spoiled. I have so many blankets and books! - which I love. I left feeling overwhelmed with how fortunate we are to both have such close (and large) families. Unfortunately, I didn't get any photos from this shower.
Anyway, after returning to CA, we went to a wedding on the 32-week mark and had Amelia take some quick photos. Kenny got in on the action:
Nicole (who's just three weeks ahead of me) got in on it, too.
Rather than get some after-church photos, we took a few during our Sunday morning walk on the Fullerton horse trails before church. Other than the mud, you'd never know it was pouring rain the day before.
One more thing - remember this post? Well after 8 months-ish I FINALLY got my permanent crown! I was really excited and here I am showing it off to Hudd. Lovely.
Tuesday, March 9, 2010
Happy Birthday to the Little Brother! I love this guy. As we're only 18 months apart and spent much of our youth stuck in an apartment on the 18th floor, he was often my only playmate and he continues to be one of my favorite people and one of my best friends. Plus, he let me boss him around for a really long time, so I owe it to him to at least like him. So, Ryan, for all those times you let me dress you up like a girl and call you Maria, I wish you the happiest of birthdays and I hope today is fun, exciting, and overall wonderful. I'll try to actually get your gift in the mail this week (TRY being the key word). Love you.
Saturday, March 6, 2010
In discussing what we could do, they suggested flying down to Oceanside to visit with some more of our cousins...and who are we to turn down a night-flight on a private plane?
It was, of course, wonderful getting to see some family, but I think the highlight for Kenny was getting to actually fly the plane for a few minutes.
Getting some instruction from Jamie.
Thursday, March 4, 2010
While I may not have much to say or show here at the moment, I did want to direct anyone who stumbles across this over to my sister-in-law's site (http://www.amelialyon.net/personal/haitimy-amazing-experience.html). Her husband, Hudd (Justin), recently returned from a trip to Haiti where he served as a translator. He just posted some thoughts on his trip as well as some photos. I don't really know how to describe the photos, so you'll just have to see for yourself. You won't be sorry.
We're glad he's home.
photo by Justin Lyon.