Other highlights of the evening included:
- Seven goals (SEVEN!!!) The hometown boys (LA Galaxy) won, ending a pretty long losing streak, much to the chagrin of DC United.
- Three yellow cards
- One red card (for reals!)
- One Hat Trick (Landon Donovan is amazing. Sorry Beckham, he is. Mr. Donovan deserves our support. And more space at the teams’ merchandise Booth – which carries 95% Beckham products. I guess we shouldn’t interfere with demand – or supply, or pricing; Government, please take note – and the crowd has made it clear that they want Beckham product. Every third person had on his jersey.)
- Overpaying for mediocre food and yelling at strangers (the best part of any professional sporting event, right?)
- Hanging out with new friends, Angela and Jamie (who is British, which somehow made the game so much more fun for me – especially because he was wearing his hometown team’s jersey and ran into a fellow fan from the Motherland.)
So here’s to “Firsts!” We had so much fun at our first professional soccer game; I think I’m hooked. If you haven’t tried it, check it out. This is coming from the couple who doesn’t follow any sport that doesn’t involve riding a board in some fashion, who never watches it on TV, and who usually only shows up to games long enough to, well, overpay for mediocre food and yell at strangers for a little bit before peacing out early to avoid a traffic nightmare.
If you’re still not sure, consider this. It’s non stop action (unlike baseball and football) and the timer doesn’t stop, so the 90 minute game will not drag out over four hours. Really, it’s good. Now that I think about it, so is Hockey. Anyone have spare Ducks tickets?